Engineering the Value Chain
1) Study the Lecture Material and the following Reader and Reference Material
for this assignment. This material is available on UTSOnline or electronically
through the UTS Library.
Future Value Chain 2020 – Building Strategies for the New Decade,
Global Logistics – New directions in Supply Chain Management,
Fifth Edition, Donald Waters, Kogan Page Limited, :
– Ch. 1 Trends in the supply chain, and
– Ch. 12 Outsourcing: the result of global supply chains?
Process-based Strategic Planning, Grunig and Kuhn, Third Edition,
– Ch. 9 Defining the strategic businesses
– Ch. 10 Assessing relevant industries with the
help of competitive intensity models
– Ch. 12 The corporate strategy development process
– Ch. 13 Generic Business Strategies
– Ch. 15 Specifying business strategies at the level of resources
2. Select one of the following Australian top organisations as the basis for your
1. BHP Billiton
3. Write a 2,500 word report (each section is a third of your report):
a) For the organisation you have selected, describe the “as-is” value chain
using porter’s Value Chain Analysis descriptions.
b) Identify and briefly describe three different scenarios where the value
chain could be optimized or shared (as a business or partner generated
strategic initiative). You can use the reading material for ideas on this, or
you can research options that have been actually used in these industries.
This section should be no more than one third of your assignment.
c) Use Porters 5 forces to describe the benefit and risks of your three
scenarios on the business you selected and on that organisation’s value
4. For this assignment you will need to do background research on the
Organisation, its value chain (start with their logistics and procurement) and you
will need to research the value chain options, benefits and risks. Check their
annual reports or industry write-ups to start you off.