Application of Nursing Theory Guidelines
The purpose of this assignment is to use nursing theory as a way to resolve a problem or issue occurring within nursing leadership, nursing education, nursing informatics, health policy, or advance clinical practice.
Through this assignment, a student will demonstrate the ability to:
(CO#1) Analyze theories from nursing and relevant fields with respect to their components, relationships among the components, logic of the propositions, comprehensiveness, and utility to advanced nursing. (PO1)
(CO#3) Communicate the analysis of and proposed strategies for the use of a theory in nursing practice. (PO3, 7, 10)
(CO#4) Demonstrate logical and creative thinking in the analysis and application of a theory to nursing practice. (PO4, 7)
DUE DATE: Sunday 11:59 PM MT at the end of Week 6
TOTAL POINTS POSSIBLE: 275
Description of the Assignment:
One nursing theory will be presented as a framework to resolve a problem occurring within one of the professional areas of leadership, education, informatics, healthcare policy or advance clinical practice. The same nursing theory selected in Assignment One may be used to resolve the identified problem.
A specific nursing theory must be used. No non-nursing theories are permitted. A category of nursing theory (grand, middle range, practice) may not be used—only a specific, published nursing theory is to be selected and applied to the issue or concern important to the profession of nursing as documented in the nursing literature.
Please note: Do not rely on .com sites to identify the nursing theory as they do not provide accurate information in all cases.
The introduction for this paper includes:
• A nursing theory is required; non-nursing theories may not be used.
• General statements on the idea of nursing theory being applied to solve problems/issues in nursing practice. You do not need to go into the specialty area of practice in-depth as this will be covered in another section of the paper.
• A one-paragraph summary of the selected specific nursing theory is required.
• Information identifying the sections of this assignment.
• References from nursing literature are required.
2. Description of Issue or Concern:
The selected issue or concern must be clearly identified as being significant to the professional area of either leadership, education, informatics, healthcare policy or advance clinical practice. The issue or concern must be presented comprehensively, but concisely by answering each of the following questions.
• What is the specific issue or concern being presented?
• Why should the nursing profession care about this issue or concern?
• What does the nursing literature have to say about this issue or concern including its frequency of occurrence?
• Who are the stakeholders or the people affected by the issue or concern?
References from nursing literature are required.
3. Application of Selected Nursing Theory to Issue or Concern:
This section of the assignment focuses on using the selected nursing theory to resolve the described issue or concern. Required information includes:
• Restating the selected nursing theory to be used
• Identification of one strategy useful in resolving the identified issue or concern.
• The strategy should be presented in depth with the following information being required:
o A specific description of how the selected nursing theory can help to resolve the issue or concern
o A specific and detailed description of the strategy to be used
o A specific and detailed description of how the strategy can be implemented
o A specific and detailed description of one suggestion for future research into either the selected nursing theory or selected issue or concern.
References from nursing literature are required.
This section provides a summary or review of the key elements of the assignment including the selected nursing theory and its application to the issue or concern.
The concluding statements include self-reflection on the new knowledge gained about applying nursing theory to a professional issue or concern.
PREPARING THE ASSIGNMENT
Format and Special Instructions
1. A nursing theory is required; non-nursing theories are not allowed to be used.
2. Paper length: 6 pages minimum; 8 pages maximum, excluding title page and reference page. Points will be deducted for not meeting these requirements.
3. A minimum of 6 (six) scholarly references are required. References must be current – not older than 5 years, unless a valid rationale is provided and the instructor has approved them. Consult with the course instructor about using an older source.
4. A dictionary, required textbooks for this course and Chamberlain College of Nursing lesson information, may NOT be used as scholarly references for this assignment. For additional information regarding scholarly references, please review “What is a scholarly source?” located in the Course Resource tab. Information from .com websites may be incorrect.
5. Title page, running head, body of paper, and reference page(s) must be in APA format as presented in the 6th edition of the manual
6. Ideas and information from readings and other sources must be cited and cited correctly.
7. Grammar, spelling, punctuation, and citations are consistent with formal academic writing as presented in the 6th edition of the APA manual
DIRECTIONS AND ASSIGNMENT CRITERIA